Sunday, June 22, 2008

Odds and Ends.

So, this week has been lame in the cooking department. We've been eating leftovers for what feels like days, and I went out to dinner Friday and Saturday. Oh, AND I'm going on vacation Mon-Wed, so having new leftovers wasn't wise. However, I have a few brief things to share.

1). Last night I went out to eat at a restaurant I used to work at. Its pretty delicious, I must say, and I would love to try my own versions of pretty much everything on the menu. However, even simpler than that is making the spice mix they serve with olive oil, for bread dipping. Its SO yummy, and although I've never made it, you literally just throw the following on a baking sheet and cook it until fragrant: red and black peppercorns, fennel, coriander seeds, carraway, dried rosemary, sea salt and thyme. Yum!

2). Today I made some hummus, from a recipe I found a few weeks ago. Its totally easy, and has a great consistency...much thicker than the store bought variety. Spread it on a warm pita with some veggies, its like heaven on a plate.
2 cups cooked chickpeas
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon chipotle puree
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup olive oil* (I only used 1/4...personal preference)
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup tahini (I used peanut butter)

Just throw everything the blender and process until smooth.

2 comments:

Aliza said...

After I made this for the second time, I realized that originally I only added half the peanut butter. I thought it was much better that way, just fyi.

Sarah said...

i've never made my own hummus before but i think this weekend i'll give it a try. i'm curious about how the peanut butter will taste so i;ll definitely give that a try. i love anything PB so i'm sure it will be good!