Monday, June 30, 2008

Risotto

So, two nights ago I made artichoke, asparagua, and mushroom quinoa risotto, something that my mom and I have been dying to make for a while. We both love risotto, and are into quinoa (which if you haven't had is DELICIOUS, and extremely healthy...its full protein, good source of fiber...the list goes on). We found the recipe in the July issue of Bon Appetit:
*6 main-course or 8 to 10 side-dish
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
12 ounces assorted wild mushrooms (such as chanterelles, stemmed shiitakes, oyster, and morels), thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups quinoa (about 13 ounces), rinsed
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 1/2 cups (or more) vegetable broth
1 pound asparagua, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 8-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed (I used canned)
1/2 grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shaved Manchego cheese (a Spanish cheese made from sheep's milk)

Melt butter with 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; saute until brown and tender, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, saute 2 minutes.

Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add quinoa; saute 2 minutes. Add wine; cook until liquid is almost absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add 3 1/2 cups broth; cook 10 minutes. Add asparagus and artichoke hearts; simmer until quinoa and vegetables are tender, stirring often and adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls as needed, about 7 minutes. Add parmesan cheese and reserved mushrooms. Stir until cheese melts and mushrooms are heated through, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide risotto among bowls, garnish with shave Manchego cheese, and serve.
We cut the recipe in half since there were only two of us. It was GREAT, I would make this again and again. I didn't use quite as much butter and oil as the recipe called for, and it was still fine. Also, Manchego cheese is really yummy, I had never had it, but it adds a lot to this dish, so don't cut it out!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

this looks really good. I really like quinoa and it is so good for you, yummy, and filling! I love risotto but have only made it with arborio rice before so I will definitely give it a try with the quinoa. I think I might sub out the artichokes though since I'm not a huge fan---maybe add broccoli instead? Oh, and that chocolate truffle dessert you just posted about: DROOL!