Wednesday, July 9, 2008

5 stars

Last night after an extremely sweaty hot yoga class I came back ready for some good food. I made this Quinoa Risotto  with just a few modifications. I halved it, omitted the artichoke hearts (because I don't really like them), used all baby portobellos, and only 1 T olive oil. The result: absolutely amazing. SO creamy and cheesy. My dad even said it was one of the best meals I've made. I will definitely be making different variations of this in the future because I LOVE risotto but find it sort of a pain to make with arborio rice---you have to constantly stir or else it will stick. I had no problem whatsoever with this sticking to the pan and I definitely was not constantly stirring!
Sorry the picture isn't the greatest. I'm luckily having leftovers for dinner tonight so I'll try for a better one then. I was just too excited to eat last night that I snapped a quick picture and dug in!

Next up: Wheatberry Cereal
I'm going to the morning yoga class this morning which means cold cereal for breakfast. Not only is it fast to make, but it's one of the few breakfasts that I can eat which will sit ok in my stomach during the class. 

Usually I have a mix of fiber one, kashi go lean, banana, skim, and flax but today I decided to switch it up and add my new favorite food: wheatberries. I subbed them in for the banana and the result was amazing. I'm fuller than I usually am right after eating (which might not be a good thing for yoga---we'll have to wait for the verdict on that). The thing with cold cereal is that it usually doesn't hold me over very long and I'm usually starving about 2.5-3 hours later whereas my other breakfasts usually hold me over a good 4-5 hours. So we'll see how the addition of wheatberries plays into the cereal's staying power.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the cold cereal and getting hungry soon after. What a great idea to add wheatberries, though!

Fitnessista said...

that quinoa looks amazing!! :D

Anonymous said...

I just responded to your comment on my blog, but wanted to post it here too to make sure you saw it!!

I'm SO GLAD you liked the Cinnamon Raisin PB! I totally know what you mean about portion control - I often sneak back for a few extra bites!!

And it’s more than ok if you add me to your blogroll - I just added you to mine too!! It would be soo much fun to be real-life friends to talk about food and health tips all the time — and yes, take those WHOLE FOODS shopping trips!! My friends all think I’m nuts too :o)